Cosmetic dentistry has come a long way. Nowadays, you don’t have to be a Hollywood celebrity to get a dashing smile full of pearly whites.
Having a beautiful smile could be the key to reaching social and professional success, or it could give you the confidence to smile bigger.
There are many variations of veneers, and they all have the aesthetic benefit of whitening and straightening your smile. However, you don’t want your teeth to only serve the function of being pretty. Your teeth also need to function, so you can eat and speak like you would with your real teeth.
How Veneers Have Improved Over Time
With advancements in technology, porcelain veneers are now an affordable and successful way to enhance the beauty and function of your smile. In their infantile days, veneers were made out of porcelain layers that were painted over one another to build the veneer structure.
This was the only kind of veneer that was used until 15 years ago. The new way of curing veneers comes from pressing the porcelain, so they can be twice as strong and last twice as long as the older veneers.
Today, we’re going to talk about all of the ways that porcelain veneers come out on top of their predecessors:
- Stronger. As we mentioned above, the new method for making porcelain veneers makes them twice as strong as veneers in the past. The new material is made in a high heat under constant pressure, so it makes the material much denser and tighter than older restorations. This means unlike in the past, now you can bite into the grizzliest rack of ribs without having to worry about fracturing a veneer.
- Doesn’t wear down surrounding teeth. Pressed porcelain veneers are less aggressive on opposing teeth. In the older versions of veneers, the material was a bit abrasive and could cause damage on the teeth surrounding the veneer. On the other hand, pressed porcelain is less abrasive to tooth enamel of surrounding teeth. If you suffer from bruxism, we still recommend wearing a mouth guard at night to keep your new veneers in mint condition.
- Better fit. In the past, the technician made veneers by continually adding new layers to a veneer, causing them to shrink. This would mean that getting a tight-fitting final product was a crapshoot. Now, veneers are tailored to the right fit before the porcelain is pressed, so it’s easy to get results that fit tightly over the tooth structure. This makes the restoration much stronger because with a better fit, there is less need to use a thick cement.
- Successful results. Technicians are able to get more predictable results with this new method of casting porcelain veneers. In the past, there was a large margin for human error, whereas now technicians can make the veneer cast to fit the tooth structure and get the fit down to a t.
- No painted look. Because the new veneers are thinner, we’re able to use the natural tooth color to shine through the veneer. Old thick veneers tended to look painted, now we can use veneers that showcase the natural tooth color for the most natural-looking results.
At Advanced Dental Center of Florence, we use Lumineers, which are one of the most advanced veneer technologies. Lumineers are a great choice for most cosmetic cases, as they don’t require us to shave down a large portion of your tooth, so in a sense they’re reversible. At the same time, they’re pressed so they’re strong and have a long lifespan.